Quincy Mutual


To report a claim, please call our agency at (508) 460-0800. Our business hours are Monday – Friday, 8 am – 4:30pm

If you’ve had an auto accident, print out an auto accident report. This should be filed with the registry, police, and us. It needs to be filed if anyone is injured or property damage is over $1000. File within 5 days of the accident.

Emergency Claims

Note: Please contact the 24 Hour Emergency Claim Phone number to report your claim in emergency claim situations only. Most claims should be handled by our agency during normal business hours (Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM). If you elect to call Quincy Mutual’s Emergency Claim line, please call us on the next regular business day about your claim so we can get a report of your claim, provide advice and assist you in getting you back what you deserve as quickly possible.

Quincy Mutual’s 24 Hour Emergency Claim Phone: (800) 490-0047

Auto Losses

Personal Safety

If you are hurt from an auto accident most definitely go to your doctor or local hospital to get checked out.

Rental Cars

If you need to rent a car, we recommend:

  • Hertz Local Edition: (800) 704-4473
  • Enterprise: (508) 480-0221


If you need your car towed, we recommend:

  • Precision Auto Body: (800) 339-5979 (24 Hour Tow Service)
  • Waldron Auto Body: (508) 481-1900 (24 Hour Tow Service)

Auto Glass

If you need auto glass replaced, for mobile auto glass service at your home or office, we recommend:

  • Giant Glass: (800) 54-GIANT
  • J N Philips: (800) FIX-MYGLAS

Home Losses

If you are insured with Quincy Mutual on your home, condo, or renters policy please note the following:

House Fires, Furnace Puff Back, Smoke Damage

If you had a house fire, furnace puff back, bad smoke damage, or damage from another insured situation that makes your house unlivable; we recommend you call a local clean up service. The services below handle fire, smoke and water damage situations and they have 24 hour service. Then, if the situation warrants it, get a local hotel/motel room if your home is unlivable.

  • ATA Corp: (800) 461-1363
  • Service Master: (800) 783-0552
  • Servpro: (800) 794-1485

House Break-in or Theft

If you had a house break-in or theft call your local police and get your house, condo, or apartment secured.

Local Adjusters

A few local adjusters can be reached. Adjusters generally respond within a few hours. We recommend:

  • Certuse Adjustment Inc: (978) 445-0431 (24 hour) (at the tone, leave your phone # and then press # key)
  • McCormack Adjusters: (800) 972-5399 (24 hour)

Public Adjusters

Note: You may be approached by public adjusters!! They do not work for any insurance companies. We do not recommend that you deal with any of them. They generally slow down the claim process and take between 5-10% of every dollar that your insurance company pays you. You are insured with a good company that pays claims promptly and fairly.

Remember, our agency is here to help and assist you in any way we can. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Emergency Claims

If you had a home loss that requires an adjuster to be on the scene immediately (emergency situations):
Quincy Mutual 24 Hour Claim Number: (800) 899-1116

If you need additional assistance in an emergency situation and it is outside our normal business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am – 4:30pm):

  • Curt Threatt cell: 508-395-6611

    488 Boston Post Rd East
    Marlboro, MA 01752